Monday, January 4, 2010

Trade-In Values

I love used games. I love shopping for used games, or even browsing for a game at a discount price. However, what I take issue with is trading in used games for something at shops like EB Games. Right now, EB Games offers you the option of trading 2 games (of a certain value) and getting a discount price of a new release game. For example; Trade in 2 games and get Uncharted 2: Among Theives. Now, I'm not saying this is a bad thing, I've traded in many games and I love to trade with friends, family, even strangers with the use of Kijiji. Like I said I take issue with trade in values with stores. Let me tell you why.

I was in one of the many EB Games yesterday and I couldn't help but over hear this guy asking if he could trade in Killzone 2 and Tiger Woods PGA Tour 09 for Uncharted 2 at $19.99.  Add these values up (25+20=$45 trade-in, 59.99-45=$14.99, but the deal is 2 trade-in's for $19.99 plus taxes) and in the end this game is yours at what seems greal price. Now I know your saying, get to the point of all this, dude. Okay, after hearing all this, as I stared at the over 30 copies of Killzone 2 I wanted to buy one of for the used price of $49.99. I felt like walking over and offering the guy $25-30 for his copy and that is the cheap price, even for kijiji. My point is this, when trading in game for set values, you should get the value offered, not the value set by the deal. Had this guy had patience and used Kijiji, he would have got his money's worth. However, that would have taking time and effort and I'm sure he only cared about getting his new game today.

This other thing, kijiji. It's my best and worst friend. You can find great deals on kijiji, but I'm not giving some random guy who I meet at his local Tim Horton's $45 for his used copy of Killzone 2. For the extra 5 bucks I'll at least get a return receipt in case anything happens to my new used game. Call me cheap if you like, I am a frugal gamer and like it like that. Unless your buying?

No comments:

Post a Comment